Saturday, May 23, 2009

Some Things Just Make Your Hair Stand on End!

My doctor recently uttered those dreadful words that I had hoped to never hear:

"Nothing from a box!"

WHAT?! Was she joking?

Didn't she care? Didn't she understand? Didn't she KNOW that I don't cook?! (I do not hide this fact.)

Boxed/pre-cooked meals are easy. They are quick. They are tasty. All of the ingredients are right there (well, except the required beef or chicken). Surely, she knew of such conveniences!

She did. She also knows how BAD they are. Phooey!

No more! No pasta. No bread. No rice. No potatoes. No McDonald's sweet tea! (I wept over that one!) Nothing from a box. And, she meant it!

I was hurt. I was confused. I didn't know what to say. (Old Little Rascals Saturday Night Live skit. I couldn't resist throwing it in! If you've seen it, you'll know just how I sounded!) ;-D

Actually, I knew this was coming. I had requested the extensive blood work (which took 12 viles of blood from my body!) to get the cold, hard facts. I wasn't surprised by the results: high cholesterol and pre-diabetes. I was saddened, but mostly aggravated, that I'd let years of neglect and indulgence lead me to this point. But, I am not going to wallow in it. No-sir-ree-Bob! We're making some changes around here! I came away from our 45-minute confab with a new sense of "sticktoit"tiveness and an attitude of "Let's Do This Thing"!

So far, I am getting the changes in my diet down: egg whites, fish, nuts, white cheese only, water, water, water, and lots of fresh veggies. I've given up soda pop and have now been CAFFEINE-FREE for 2 weeks and 2 days! Here's the kicker on the caffeine "cold turkey": WITHOUT a single headache! That was my sign. My sign that God has heard my prayers and has my back. I have tried to give up caffeine in the past and have caved after 2 days due to HORRENDOUS headaches. But, not this time! I know that He's present with me on this journey in a very real way. I am not craving all of the bad stuff or longing to eat any (and all) of the things in the pantry or fridge that are not on my list. Not even a smidge of desire to break away. THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!! EVER! I have ALWAYS wanted to cheat and fudge on the plan. Not this time. He's being strong for me until I can stand on my own. (Thank you.)

"You say to me, Lord, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Your power can rest on me." (2 Corinthians 12:9)

So, I am letting you all in on my weakness. I have made the decision to SURRENDER it to Him (I'll deal with my weakness for handbags later. One hurdle at a time!) and break the chains that have had my health and well-being in bondage.

I am seeing results, which is great motivation. Now, I need to start on the activity/exercise part of the plan! That's my next step. So, I'll report back in a couple of weeks on my progress in that area. Stay tuned!!

4 comments:

  1. you're awesome, dude!!! (I'm proud of you too)

    --maddieO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, you are surrounded (in body and spirit no matter the distance) by people that love you and will support you through this life change. Consider this the first day of the rest of your life! We love you and I promise not to make hamburger helper in WI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dear Friend...I had no idea of your new health journey (slightly behind on blogging due to the fam. in town :)). Praying for you big time on that one. I struggle with that too...except my issue is sweets...I live for them lately and find myself having withdrawals w/o them (and giving up good food to devour them). Praying God continues to give you strength away from those boxed goodies :) Stay strong! Love ya' lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, girl! Not an easy journey, but you will be rewarded, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete