Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Fun Was Had By All"



When I was growing up, we waited every week for the local newspaper, The Press-Dispatch to come out. We read all the latest news about Pike County: ambulance & police runs, school activities and local neighbor news. Bootsie Bellamy used to write stories about families in the Ayrshire area. She'd tell of church activities, hospital visits and family reunions. I fondly remember that she used to end her "column" by saying that "fun was had by all."

A more perfect phrase could not be found to sum up our vacation to Door County, Wisconsin last week! We met up with my sister, Jennifer and her husband, Kurt and their two beautiful (um, sorry, "ruggedly handsome" -- Jacob hates me calling any boy "beautiful"!) young sons, Blake and Luke, and their wonderful dog, Molly. We had a week of relaxation, laughter and making of great memories! My favorite moments were watching the kids play and giggle and entertain. I can still hear Blake's little voice shouting, "Jacob! Jacob! Jacob!" as he needed to know where Jacob was at all times. They made great buddies! Little Luke was a newborn the last time we saw him, so to see him so active and so eager to run with the big kids was a total thrill. Next time, big guy!

We had a wonderful time touring all of the quaint villages on the peninsula. We had been there 12 years earlier and were delighted to see that not much had changed. We love it as a vacation spot and won't wait so long to return. We feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to spend quality time with Jennifer, Kurt and the boys. We miss them already!! We had such a great time just hanging out, playing putt-putt & croquet, shopping, boating and eating some wonderful meals together! We love them all very much and look forward to more family vacations in the future.

I took over 800 pictures, so trying to narrow down the pictures I wanted to post has been hard. So, today I uploaded a ton of them into a Photobucket album:

Enjoy the photos! I think I was able to capture some memorable moments from our trip. It was a Bootsie-worthy one: FUN was definitely had by all!! ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Family vacations are the best! And, I just love Pike County...well, I really love any county in Kentucky, but Pike County because you're from there! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin:

    My Pike County was actually in Indiana, but it still holds all of the southern charm you'd expect in small-town America. Good people, solid values and love of the simple things! My bluegrass roots are much farther back to when I was a baby. Kentucky is one of my favorite states and we road trip down there every chance we get! We're kinda hopeful that Maddie would like to attend Centre College in Danville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply amazing and beautiful (& handsome!) pics, Jill! Your new camera did you good...though I think the photographer should get a pat on the back too! Loved each and every one (but you know me and pictures...I pour over them!). But, truly friend....you captured every memory so well. Just seeing the pics of the lovely Lake MI made me miss it even more (though I always saw it from the other side)...the beautiful coastline, the lighthouses, the sand...and all the kids (little and big) enjoying it all. What a wonderful vacation you must have had. I esp. love all the great pics of Mad...they made me realize how much we have missed her over the last 2 weeks. And I think she gave you the same faces Hailey gave us on vacation (the "come on, cut the pictures...rolling of the eyes face" :)). And love all the pics of the cousins...they are truly adorable and I'm not at all surprised there was a lot of "monkey see, monkey do". Looks like Jake and Blake (hey, that rhymes!) got along well and Mad and Luke were best buds (we know how she loves the babies!). And I love the pics of Luke with the cake...LOL! Makes me excited to see Ash with hers in a couple months (maybe smeared on her rear like Luke's...LOL!) :)

    Well, friend, I know it's hard getting back to reality...but we're glad you're back across the way. We've missed our Hootie fix! Thanks for sharing your wonderful vacation memories...I felt like I was a fly on the beach/lake seeing all your wonderful pics. Love ya, friend, Kel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luke and Blake are really cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that maddie sure is strange though)

    --singed MADDIE HOOTEN and shelby n.

    ReplyDelete